Friday 30 August 2013

The UQ campus, not a cloud in the sky, the sun was blazing hotter than ever, nevertheless it was a relaxing and peaceful setting on a Saturday morning. The automated glass doors opened with a glazed set of eyes gazing back at me, on entrance the burst of cool, air-conditioned air surrounded me, at first glance all you could see was words after words, portrayed in different mediums and forms, but with a closer look, the theme and arrangement of each art piece could be seen quite clearly. Once the brief of the exhibition was read, it was quick to tell that the depth and thought put into the exhibition, was clearly a refined, considerately planned and polished exhibition, pieced together  by the curator. The title of the exhibition 'Born to Concrete' showed that the exhibition was solely dedicated to concrete poetry. Also known as visual poetry, which endeavours to explore the relationship between visual art and language. 

Safety Aesthetic First / Aleks Danko 1971


Artists Think No. 2 / Ian Brun 1993
Alan Riddel

Although for me personally, having a background of journalism increased the experience of the exhibition, I believe that everyone can take something out of it. This extraction however could range from the poetic flow of the writing itself to the contextual meaning of the visual aesthetic. The majority of the artists were Australian in which they produced their work around the 60's and 70's but with a few new added acquisitions. the 60's and 70's was when the concrete Poetry movement in Australia started to flourish, some would say a progression of the Fluxus movement, a movement intertwined with DaDa, surrealism and cubism, originating from New York. 



austracism / Vernon Ah Kee 2003

Impounded Illusion / Sweeney Reed 1976

The exhibition flowed smoothly, with every turn of a coroner something new and different would arise, but still keeping to and relating to the theme of 'concrete poetry'. The piece that stood out the most was Sweeney Reed's 'Impounded Illusion', the big bold lettering cast from industrialised steel creates a puzzle at first glance, but after a second read through, your brain quickly pieces together the cut off letters, to spell 'HORIZON'. the curator Max Delany explains it as 'A highly refined and perfectionist practice emerged, as had been the case throughout his publishing initiatives, at once sculptural, textual and graphic in form'. Both the compositional cut off of the letters and the word itself compliment the one worded poem, in which Reed's aim was to 'capture the horizon'

All in all i strongly recommend this exhibition as there is something to learn for everyone, it exhibits great artworks that have a deeper meaning than what meets the eye, using the art of poetry and textual language to accompany that of the visual arts. It also benefits and preserves Australias collection of art from the 'concrete poem' movement of the 60's with additional acquisitions from upcoming new artists. These additions sustain and bring new life to the experimental movement that was first curated into the exhibition initially at the Heide Museum of modern art in 2011.

- Lynda Whitley

3 comments:

  1. By chance I stumbled upon your blog and found it quite an interesting read. As a lawyer with a keen interest in art, I attended this exhibition last week. Upon arrival I found myself wondering 'how?', not in a critical sense, but a more pessimistic approach. How is this poetic? How is the link between visual art and language established to truly encapsulate the notion of 'Born to Concrete'. I found myself coming to the same conclusion with each piece on display.. The exhibition was fantastic.

    I agree with your statement on how having a background in art 'enhances' to the overall 'experience' of the exhibition. Going into the exhibition, I already had prior knowledge of the history of Australia's 'concrete poetry movement', a movement that I have always had a fond interest in as I myself love the poetic nature of the art that was created. That is why I found this exhibition fantastic. I can't help but agree with your comment on the 'flow' of the exhibition, every piece had it's own meaning, it's own story to tell, but still strongly related to the theme of 'concrete poem'.

    I do agree with your recommendation, I whole-heartedly believe that this exhibition is a good learning experience. However, many people whom don't necessarily appreciate the poetic foundation of this art-form, may find this exhibition 'dull' and even 'boring'. I made the mistake of brining my wife along, she didn't appreciate it as much as I did and ended up leaving with the kids basically upon arrival (which I am actually thankful for in the end). Anyways, great piece Lynda; it did this fantastic exhibition justice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry Lynda but I have to disagree; I found this exhibition to be the exact opposite from what you say. On entrance I was quite looking forward to the UQ gallery experience, being a previous visitor to many of the exhibitions held at UQ, I was looking forward to the open spaces and the sculptural upper level of the building. But as I walked up the stairs my mind was fogged with the overwhelming amounts of words and letters, the exhibition show casing the apparent ‘Concrete Poetry’ in which you call art? In my mind all I was thinking is, how can this be art and or in many cases poetry? Letters cut out of sheet metal arranged and displayed in a childish manner? How in any which way is this art? When I think of art, or good art in this sense, I think of the Picasso’s and the renaissance landscape paintings that truly display the quality and technique that proper visual art should contain. Although Picasso experimented with new styles and techniques, in which the cubism movement came from, there is a limit to experimentation that can be portrayed through art, and for this reason I think the concrete poetry exhibition is poor excuse for an art exhibition. All in all I was hoping that the UQ curators had some of their classic pieces on display, but instead all I got was letters after letters, that made me rethink the limits of what modern art and its subsequent movements like the’ Fluxus’ movement, that you refer to, have come to.

    p.s. for anyone reading this, I don’t recommend this exhibition as Lynda did

    ReplyDelete
  3. You see Mary this is where I think you’re wrong, Lynda has made some very valid points, and she has expressed her views about the exhibition, in an effective format. When you say; ‘can this be art?’ referring to the ‘born to concrete exhibition’ you would, in fact be wrong in saying so. The ‘concrete poetry’ movement was a strong development from the Fluxus movement of the modern art era, and the born to concrete exhibition displayed at UQ is a great way of experiencing the growth and flow of modern art among Australia. But just to add one point Lynda, I couldn’t see anything in your article about the curators, if you have heard, this exhibition originated from the Heide Museum of modern art in Melbourne, where the curators pieced together quality works from some of Australians well known poets and artists, in which it was then exhibited in the UQ gallery for the Brisbane community to experience and enjoy. For me the experience was quite entertaining, seeing a new side of art that I was eager to interpret and explore, as soon as I got home I was on the web researching all of the artists included in the exhibition. And to agree with you Lynda, Sweeney Reed was definitely the focal point of the exhibition for me, his expression through the bold letters with both minimalistic composition and complex meaning, shows the viewer the power that a word can have. The exhibition was a definite thing on my to do list, and I completely agree with both Robby and Lynda for you guys to go along to this exhibition as you will experience something that is one in lifetime for Brisbane’s visual art scene.

    ReplyDelete